Mis Insignias Digitales

Mis Redes Sociales

 

Getting to know Los Angeles

30 sept 2024

Some days ago I met John Wooden. There is a quote[1] within "his" gym in UCLA campus that I see I' m on the treadmill which encouraged me to find out about his history and philosophy. Perhaps it is America, the place where one is most motivated to be a leader and the country which has had the most famous leaders. I am not surprised by the fan phenomenon that exists around the entire industry that drives Hollywood.


I'm not just talking about movies but about singers and artists in general. Souvenir and legendary music stores like Amoeba[2] are full of objects inspired by them. As I read a few days ago in Bruin Newspaper[3], vinyl is really selling as a result of marketing and not enjoyment. The ego satisfaction of having. It would be a much more fulfilling experience to appreciate it by using it.


It's curious to me how a well-known Chinese cinema theater in the middle of such a big boulevard is empty on a Friday night while at the same time there are other areas packed with homeless people. That's how cities are: full of contrasts. Far from fear but from caution (women always have to have a plan B to escape places. taking an UBER last night helped a friend and me a lot). I wonder what the city really does for them and what it doesn't. I don't know what will happen when the next Olympic games arrives. I don't know if anything would improve in the reality of the sub-neighborhoods.


Regarding cultural differences with Spain, I have continued to observe personal space and the lack of hugs as well as the absence of saying good morning when someone enters the elevator. In Spain when you bump into someoone in small spaces people usually have a small conversation (about the weather, where they are going or comment on some news).


UCLA and other brands constantly promote the feeling of belonging to a group. Unlike in Spain, where is not common to wear a sweatshirt from your university, here it is a must. Being from the educational sector and considering something to be proud of, UCLA somehow makes people proud of being students. There is a constant reinforcement of identity as a group but in a very different way than the Dodgers or Lakers do.


Regarding campus daily life, in general, it is very quiet. I have gotten used to working in different study rooms and I continue to discover what places and at what times to be in one place or another. I don't feel like I'm missing anything outside during the week on campus. I like that my notes are in both languages: English and Spanish. I understand more and more the script of American movies based on university times. How they are shown and how we outsiders interpret them is far from reality. I am happy and gratefull enjoying watching the movie from within.



[1] “Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.” John Wooden.

[2]  Amoeba Music. 6200 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028

 



Acceda rápidamente a otras entradas sobre UCLA o haga clic aquí para ir a la página principal.


Differents maps
Closeness and distance
Buy space but first coffee. Line starts here
Like a rolling stone

Some extracts from my articles at UCLA

0 comments:

Publicar un comentario

Gracias por enviar tu comentario!!

Comenta, vota y comparte todo lo que quieras :)

Gracias por tu visita!!


Vuelve pronto ^^


contador de visitas